May 2, 2007 May 2, 2007Posted by atlanticleaguenews in Uncategorized.
Patriots Open Workouts: The 2007 edition of the Somerset Patriots will make their first appearance at Commerce Bank Ballpark tonight, when the team will hold an open workout. AtlanticLeagueBaseball.com will be there and will have a report following the event.
9:00 PM Update – Just got back from Patriots open workouts, and only OF Jose Morban was absent from the event.
– Dave Elder was officially named the Opening Day starter, and Elder and I spent about five minutes talking about what he says will be the first Opening Day start of his career. He last was a regular starter in 2001, and started in college before that.
Expect him to go around five innings on Friday night, and if he ends up lasting in the rotation (see: the team decides not to bring anyone else in) then he says he could go as long as eight innings.
I think the consensus is that Elder is best suited for the bullpen, and I think that’s a sentiment he’d probably agree with. However, right now, the team really doesn’t have a better option.
– Andy Van Hekken will go Saturday night and Chris Rojas is expected to get the nod on Sunday afternoon.
– It will be closer by commitee for the Somerset Patriots. Elder went into Spring Training as the closer, but that clearly didn’t end up lasting. Ideally, someone with the experience of Phil Norton would probably get the nod, but he and Brian Adams are the only two lefties in the pen, and it’s unlikely the team will have either as the regular stopper.
– While you won’t find anyone who believes he’ll last that long, INF Danny Garcia is coming in with the attitude that he’ll be here for the whole season, proving to teams that he’s healthy. Garcia, who had shoulder surgery in 2005, says he’s 100% and ready to go for the season.
– Anton French made his first appearance in a Somerset Patriots uniform tonight, after being signed midway through Spring Training. He wasn’t in camp with anyone this season, instead preparing for a return to Mexico.
R.D. Spiehs makes his first tosses in the home bullpen
Manager Sparky Lyle throws BP
Michel Hernandez gets loose for infield practice
Danny Garcia takes his cuts in the cage
– written by Mike Ashmore (All photos by Mike Ashmore)